Monday, January 4, 2016

My first project as a Greeting Farm Guest Designer! Woot!

Hello!

First, I want to thank Rosemary at The Greeting Farm for allowing me to be a guest designer for the month of January, 2016. I am ~beyond thrilled~ to have this opportunity! I do hope that everyone enjoys the projects that I have lined up! I am literally giggling as I type this, I'm so excited!

The Greeting Farm products that I used were the "Let it Snow" die and stamp set, and also the word die set called "Sparkle and Shine".

I started out with one of those raw wood printer's trays that you can find for a few dollars in the wood section of Michael's. I spray painted it silver.



Then I sprayed it again with silver glitter spray. You can find those paints at most craft and hard ware stores, they will run you anywhere from $4 to $6 dollars. I like using spray paint because everything just comes out perfectly, no brush strokes, no thick areas...and it's fast. It's my paint of choice. 

Next I printed out some of my favorite family photos from 2015 in black and white. I glued them down onto the printer's tray, then cut out some stitched snowflakes with a die using various silver specialty papers. I glued down some wood veneer snowflakes as well to add a different texture, then added silver Stickles to those. 


I then cut out the 'sparkle and shine' words with The Greeting Farm die and adhered those on top of some photos. Under the 'shine' I used Thickers for the "2015".  I glued down a tiny Christmas tree in one corner that I received in a holiday package (Thank you Christina!) and then colored up the polar bear and penguin, who are SO DANG CUTE!!! They are from the "Let it Snow" set...just a little reminder there in case you want to pick them up.


I added glossy accents to the nose and mug of the polar bear, and glossy accented the penguins as well. The top penguin I glossy accented all of him, I think. Like he just popped out of the icy waters, right? The other penguin just had a highlighted nose and feet.



The coloring on the characters are very basic, I list the colors on my blog post on The Greeting Farm's site if you'd like to know exactly which ones I used. On the photo below you'll note that the hat and scarf have polka dots. I simply added those with a white gel pen.



After all was said and done, I felt like it still needed something extra, so I had iridescent snow. Lots of it. I added it to the top of the tray, the bottom shelves, had it dripping off of the photos, resting on top of the little tiny tree. I was definitely going for a fun, sparkly, silver effect. I plan to use this as one of my winter decorations. Although I personally will bring it out just as part of my Christmas decor, you could use something like this as a season decoration rather than holiday specific, for sure.




Thank you again to The Greeting Farm for having me! I have two more projects coming this month, please come back and visit and see what is next!

=)
Carol Maitoza

5 comments:

  1. I just came over here from your YouTube channel and the video showcasing this project with your beautiful family. Looking forward to seeing the next projects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just came over here from your YouTube channel and the video showcasing this project with your beautiful family. Looking forward to seeing the next projects.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful piece, those tones give the piece a warm wintery look. Great pictures!

    ReplyDelete